Monday, January 24, 2011

A New Rosette

This rosette is a departure from the abalone versions I've recently installed. It's a simple radial design in Macassar ebony which I hope will work well in the visual sense; the final verdict will have to wait until I can marry it with the guitar's other decorative elements and see it as part of an overall design.


Dimensions marked on 1/8" MDF


Sliced and diced: ready for tapering


Tapering the wedges on the disk sander


Wedges tapered and glued


Routed to size - a spiral down-cut router bit keeps things tidy


Ready for installation in a redwood top

I have two of these rosettes ready to install along with their edge purflings. I'll post pictures when they're done.

Cheers
Pete

No comments:

Bridge Day

With a template describing the bridge outline, and an appropriate jig to facilitate routing of the saddle slot, it's a fairly quick and ...